Sunday, January 5, 2014

First three experiments - one flour mix

When I first wanted to learn about gluten free food, I happened upon Gluten Free Girl's blog. From her blog I picked up these suggestions for making one's own gluten free flour mix. Read more HERE.

My first mix were made up of:



I used 200 grams of sorghum flour, 200 grams of millet flour, 300 grams of Schär Mix Patisserie (primarily corn starch and corn meal), and 300 grams of Semper white mix (primarily wheat starch).

My first three experiments:
Pie crust for pumpkin pie - There is a little grittyness to the baked goods. I'm not sure where it comes from. The finished product also looks a bit darker and more crumbly than when using regular wheat flour. I LOVED the way it tasted. Or rather that it didn't have a strong taste. For med the texture was different, but the taste was similar to regular flour. I used my regular pie crust recipe, but weighed the flour mix instead of measuring.

Next time: I'll put the crust between plastic or parchment paper and roll it. Just cramming it into the pie pan was not optimal.. No other adjustments necessary.

American pancakes - Love, Love, loved them. They were very tasty. Still a little gritty, but less noticable than in the pie crust. My family also had the pancakes and no complaints. VERY different from the buckwheat pancake mix I tried a couple of months back. They did not taste as good when cold. I used my regular recipe and weighed the flour mix.

Next time: There will be one! No adjustment necessary.

Sponge cake - Tasted nice, but a failure in presentation. I used my regular recipe, but measured rather than weighed the flour mix. I then baked it for the regular time plus a few minutes. This turned out to be too little. It just fell to half its size as soon as it was out of the oven. The cake itself looked a little too dark inside.

Next time: I'll be sure to weigh the flour mix, bake it about 5 minutes longer than I normally would have.

My flour mix is almost used up now. Soon I will have to venture into a health-foods store to see what they have to try out next. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment