Sunday, January 5, 2014

Introduction



After being disgnosed with celiac disease in early May of 2013, I have eaten gluten free. My mom and grandma are celiacs, so getting symptoms and eventually being diagnosed was unwelcome, but not unexpected. I made a very conscious decision not to go bananas with nutrition. I have now tried almost every gluten free product I have come across that sounded appealing to me at the time. I have also continued eating sweets and foods I liked which were gluten free, but not GLUTEN FREE, if you know what I mean. I now have the extra pounds to show for it. Add to it that my starting weight was pretty high. In sum - I have a challenge ahead. I need to lose a lot of weight.

Why did I not make nutritionally sound decisions? I have two partial answers. I wanted to know what was out there, what tasted good and what did not. But I also simply didn't have the energy. I knew, without a doubt, that I would wear myself out. One of my symptoms were lack of energy and I just sensed that I could not deal with it.

A few months into my gluten free adventure, I started to put on weight. The good news of course being that my innards were starting to work properly. Macronutrients started to actually make their way into my system, instead of going straight through.

And now, I weigh the most I ever have. And finally, I am ready to to three things simultaneously. Start experimenting with baking. Exercising. And eating healthier.


No comments:

Post a Comment